UX for Developers


Introduction


From my first steps into professional website development back in October of 2000, up until the point at which I recognized that I wanted to build better digital products for people to use in May of 2010, I was largely oblivious to the user. Yes, it took me almost
an entire decade to actually think about how other people may use the digital products that I was building. 
I would turn up to work and build what needed building, to the
specification provided, for the client that was paying for the work to be done.
I don’t think it was much of a coincidence that the revelation of “Responsive Web Design” was the catalyst that set me on my path to becoming a User ExperienceDesigner.
To be clear from the outset, this is not what I want for you as a developer, to completely embrace user experience foregoing all else, to change career and follow in my footsteps. 
No, my intention is to bring the disciplines of software development and user experience design closer together; to be able to work in such a collaborative way that the lines between the roles of the designer and the developer start to blur.
If, by the end of reading this book, you want to switch your focus and give in to that inner designer that is craving to get out, then good for you, and good for your users.
 But, if you only end up with just a little more awareness of the effect that the digital products you build has on the people that use them, well, that’s the first step on your path to becoming a more user-centered developer.


Download

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post